Family Nursing & Home Care is a Jersey Charity. We raise money through donations, fundraising activities and legacies and we are contracted by the Government of Jersey for the provision of services. Our ethos is to help islanders start well, live well and age well.
We provide expert prenatal and parental care and we support children, young people, families and the members of our community who need healthcare or support in their homes. Our Services range from the Baby Steps programme, Children’s Community Nursing, School Nursing, District Nursing, Health Visiting, Home Care, Rapid Response and Reablement, Palliative Care and end of life care.
As an organisation FNHC can trace its origins to the creation of a District Nursing Association in Jersey. In the early years of the twentieth century, nursing at home was a regular feature of Jersey life. From 1899 to present day, FNHC has earned the trust of our community, providing care across Jersey.
Nursing at home has been a feature of Jersey life for centuries. Before the St Helier General Hospital was built in 1765, most health care was delivered at home and concentrated mainly on midwifery. It was rare for women to give birth in hospital, yet there was no island-wide organisation which could arrange this care, and there were virtually no professionally trained nurses.
It wasn’t until the beginning of the 20th century that nurses came from what is now the Queen’s Nursing Institute to be employed by local charitable associations.
The first nurse to become a District Nurse in Jersey was Eleanor Diaper, who had come to the Island to work at St Saviour’s Hospital. Mrs Diaper seems to have been employed by the Gorey and Grouville Nursing Association, thought to have been established in 1907.
Eleanor and the other nurses were funded by subscriptions collected door-to-door by ladies in the parishes, along with parochial funding and donations. The poor were not charged.
Over the next few years a web of nursing associations was set up which spread throughout the Island. By 1928 there were five associations affiliated to the Queen’s Nursing Institute and by 1939 there were 16 Queen’s Nurses working in the Channel Islands.
Post the occupation of Jersey by German Troops and the introduction of the NHS, District Nursing branches were dissolved but District Nurses continued to be employed by charitable organisations. Between 1952 and 1970, the Jersey Home Helps Society was established and quickly grew. In 1970 a Geriatric Liaison Health Visitor and School Nurses were appointed prior to the Jersey District Nursing Association dissolution in 1971.
In 1986 the Jersey District Nursing Association and Jersey Family Welfare Association amalgamated to become Family Nursing Services. In 1993 Family Nursing Services amalgamated with Jersey Home Help to form Family Nursing & Home Care and to this day we provide expert prenatal and parental care and we support children, young people, families and the members of our community who need healthcare or support in their homes.
We have earned the trust of our community and with over 100 years of experience in providing care across Jersey, we know what we’re talking about.
Our History Timeline
1899 – The Queen Victoria Jubilee Institute (QVJI) for nurses was incorporated by Royal Charter. The institute provided training and also acted as an employment agency to affiliated nursing associations.
1907 – The first known District Nurse was employed. Eleanor Diaper was trained in the UK and employed by the newly formed Gorey and Grouville Nursing Association.
1907 – 1926 – A complex web of nursing associations, affiliated to the QVJI for Nurses, developed.
1926 – The Jersey District Nursing Association (JNA) was formed. In order for the association to survive, fundraising was essential and subscriptions were collected by ladies in the parishes.
1928 – Five District Nursing Associations had formed, each of which was affiliated to the QVJI and eight nurses were employed.
1933 – The JNA was incorporated which meant they were now able to purchase and accept property as donations.
A nurse’s home (Gloucester Lodge) was purchased the same year for £2,100.
1940 – German Troops invade and occupy the Island.
1948 – The NHS was introduced and affiliated District Nursing branches were dissolved. District Nurses continued to be employed by charitable organisations.
1952 – The Jersey Home Helps Society for the Sick and Aged was established
1957 – Jersey Maternity and Infant Welfare Clinic becomes known as the Jersey Family Welfare Association
1958 – Two health visitors were employed in Jersey and clinics held at the Jersey Maternity Hospital (now the Le Bas Centre).
1966 – Home Helps had 33 members of staff on the books and 90 cases.
1970 – A Geriatric Liaison Health Visitor and School Nurses were also appointed by Jersey Family Welfare Association.
1971 – All branches of the Jersey District Nursing Association were dissolved and the association centralised in order to provide better coordination and communication between the District Nurses, General Practitioners, other welfare services and the public.
1979 – Jersey Home Helps Society now had 40 members of staff and 335 clients
1986 – Jersey District Nursing Association and the Jersey Family Welfare Association amalgamated to become Family Nursing Services.
1993 – Family Nursing Services amalgamated with Jersey Home Help to form Family Nursing & Home Care (FNHC).
Today the Association employs around 200 colleagues in order to provide the full range of community nursing and care services that Jersey’s residents need.